STAYING AHEAD OF TIME
Sure, your MP3 player is cool, clothes are key and it’s always nice to have a little more spending money in your pocket. But once the school year starts, you are reminded that time
is the most precious thing you have — and one thing you’ll frequently wish you had more of. The good news is that if you manage time efficiently it can seem like hours have been magically added to your school week. At the same time you’ll be mastering a skill that will continue to pay dividends throughout your academic and professional careers. Here are a few key ways to help you get a better handle on your academic time:
- Start an agenda. Use a student planner designed for the school calendar year.
- Draw up a schedule from three different perspectives: long-term view — weekly recurring commitments and semester-long tasks, intermediate view — goals to be accomplished this week, and short term view — your daily to-do list.
- Go through your notebooks, folders and binders and throw out everything unnecessary: notes from friends, doodles, old handouts.
- Clearly label the outside of your notebooks and binders and group items together by subject.
- Spend a little time each day clearing the general clutter — it can get out of hand before you know it.
- Keep a record of your progress so you can look back with a feeling of accomplishment.
- Bonus Tip: One easy way to get a handle on your stuff and your time is finding a system for keeping all school work in one easily accessible place. Five Star Flex® NoteBinder™, with available accessories such as tabs to organize notes for different school subjects, and convenient pockets for carrying necessities like markers, pens, and disks makes it easy to keep important papers protected and in their place.
Adopting all of these tips might take a little extra time at first, but they’ll pay you back many times over throughout the school year and beyond.