FUEL FOR SUCCESS
You've heard all about the benefits of eating healthy food and staying active: you'll feel better, stay healthier and live longer. But how do you make healthy choices when your cafeteria vending machine features candy and soft drinks?
Your mom was right...breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. If you start off hungry, you're more likely to scarf down unhealthy snacks to curb your hunger. Try a few of these options for a jump start:
Scope the Menu
- A cup of hot oatmeal in a portable container so you can grab it and go
- A peach, orange or banana
- Yogurt (this is a good choice if all your schedule allows is a stop at a fast food restaurant)
- Scrambled eggs (you can even make these ahead and reheat in the morning)
Check out the lunch menu a day in advance. This gives you time to prepare.
- Many schools offer a salad bar as a healthy option to fried food or pastas
- Buy lunch on days featuring grilled chicken or fish
- Choose water or milk instead of carbonated drinks
- Skip the sugary candy, and opt for fresh fruit instead
Packing your food gives you
control. This goes for lunches and snacks. Try some of these options, which are easy to make ahead:
Great if you have access to a microwave:
- Peanut butter on apple slices
- Boiled egg (great source of protein)
- Spinach salad: fresh spinach, mushrooms, bacon and shredded cheese
- 2 pieces of dark chocolate
- Slice bell peppers
- Yogurt and fresh strawberries
- Cheese and crackers
- Cereal bars or rice cakes
After School Special
- Whole wheat tortilla, shredded cheese, grilled chicken chunks. Add a bit of fresh basil for flavor and flair. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Chicken chili made with white beans and chicken (instead of tomato sauce and ground beef). Throw some cheese on top before you head it up
You're home, hungry and dinner is three hours away. Try some of these options to give you a boost, but not ruin your dinner:
- Plate of veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli) with ranch dressing
- Tuna melt: can of tuna (drained) on an English muffin , topped with cheese. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Baked tortilla chips with salsa
Share YOUR favorite healthy snack creations on our message board!
GET THE GEAR
Trapper Keeper Binder
Five Star® Stand 'n Store Pencil Pouch
Five Star Expanding File